If you’re thinking about selling your home, the overall appearance, inside and out is a critical aspect in gaining the interest of prospective buyers. A potential buyer will decide if they want to buy your home within the first few minutes of seeing it.
If you just bought a new home – and want it to look it’s best, starting outside, can help you perfect your investment!
There are a number of things that can be done to quickly enhance the appearance of your home, thus increasing it’s aesthetic and monetary value. The first step is to look at your home through the eyes of a buyer, or guest. What do you see? Performing basic tasks like mowing the lawn, ensuring your yard is free of weeds and edging can help significantly!
Here are 10 ways to improve your home’s curb appeal
- Keep your lawn nicely manicured – Mowing is obvious, but it’s also important to edge between the lawn and the sidewalks. Grass creeping over the sidewalks makes a yard look messy (think coloring outside of the lines).
- Dress up the front door – Your front door is the main focal point of your home’s curb appeal. Make a statement by giving your front door a splash of color. Make sure the hardware is in good condition, by keeping them clean or polishing them with metal polish. If they are beyond repair, replace them.
- Paint Your Trim and/or Shutters – Like the front door, painting your trim and/or shutters will add some brightness and add curb appeal to your home.
- Add embellishments – New house numbers, light fixtures or a new doorbell can quickly add style to your home’s exterior. Try to match the finishes of each, buy choosing stainless steel, brass or aluminum. When purchasing light fixtures, try to purchase ones that have the same mounting system as the current ones to save yourself some time and frustration.
- Create an instant garden – Don’t have a green thumb? Maybe you don’t have time to spend hours in the garden every weekend. Consider container gardens, they are easy to create and even easier to maintain.
- Plant a Tree – Planting a tree is one of the most common ways to add curb appeal to a home. Be sure to choose the right one and carefully take into consideration where to plant it based on how how big it will grow.
- Upgrade Your Mailbox – Adding a new mailbox can instantly upgrade your curb appeal. Your mailbox should complement the home’s style and your personality. Before you purchase a new mailbox, make sure that you are in compliance with the city and homeowners association (if applicable). You can also dress up your mailbox (old or new) by adding a garden element to it.
- Install window boxes – This is another sure-fire way to add curb appeal, color and charm. Window boxes come in a number of different materials; copper, iron or wood. Be sure to choose flowers and/or plants that complement your home’s color scheme.
- Replace old gutters and downspouts – If your home has old gutters, it is more than likely that your home’s exterior is paying the price (peeling paint, rust spots, etc.). It’s easy to replace old systems with today’s vinyl gutter systems that snap together and require minimal tools and knowledge.
- Add outdoor art – Add some flair to your yard with weather resistant yard art. Some options include; birdfeeders, birdbaths, metal cutouts, sculptures, and fountains.
Want more ideas? Give me a call, I’d be happy to help you perfect and protect your investment!
As always, if you are in need of real estate services (whether you are looking to buy or sell), or know someone who is, please feel free to contact me. My team and I are available to serve you seven days a week!
Like this Post? Subscribe to our blog