We work with a lot of people moving to the Orlando area that need a new Florida driver’s license and are often asked what is required to obtain a new license. There’s nothing more frustrating that getting to the office, waiting in line and then realizing you don’t have all of the required documents needed.
If you need a new license, make sure you have all of the required information before you go!
First gather your documents.
What you will need:
- Certified US Birth Certificate
- Valid US passport
- Certificate of naturalization
- Consular proof of birth abroad
- Alien registration receipt card (green card, form 1-551)
Name change (if applicable):
Original or certified copy of all marriage certificates or court orders that show your name change(s) (uncertified photocopies are not valid)
2. Social Security Number
- Social Security Card
- W-2 form
- Pay check showing number
- Letter from Social Security Administration (if no card issued)
3. Residential Address (not post office box)
- Deed, mortgage, payment booklet, or rental agreement
- Florida vehicle registration or title
- Utility bill or hookup/work order
- Statement from person you live with along with two address documents in that person’s name.
Go to a driver license office or “Skip-the-trip” when renewing! You may renew a driver license once by Internet or mail between office visits. Skip-the-trip is for license renewals and replacements—not for new licenses, changes to organ donor status, voter registration or name changes. For online license renewal, go to www.GoRenew.com.
Go fast and don’t be late! If your request for driver license renewal is received after the expiration date of your license, a $15 late fee is required by law.
Get your new card – either a driver license or ID, not both. Recent Florida law changes restrict an individual from holding both a driver license and identification card. When you choose to renew or replace your driver license, your identification card will be invalidated.
You may schedule an office appointment at www.flhsmv.gov.
For identification documents, please visit: